Do you love fishing? Do you have a passion for making a difference in your community? Do you believe Western Australia should have the best fishing found anywhere in the world? Do you want to influence fisheries management in WA?
If so, we want to hear from you!
Recfishwest believes WA can offer the best fishing experiences found anywhere in the world, and the team is passionate about offering positions on the Next Wave Future Leaders team for driven individuals who are willing to commit to ensuring this vision is reached.
If you want to get involved, you should:
- Love fishing;
- Have a clear vision for the future of fishing in WA;
- Be between the ages of 18 to 35 years;
- Be available to volunteer to help with projects and events that seek to achieve this vision;
- Be able to operate in a team environment;
- Be able to commit to a two year term on the Next Wave team.
- Provide an environment for you to help make fishing better in WA, including:
- Entry level training in fisheries management, advocacy, community engagement and leadership skills
- Personal and professional development opportunities
- Opportunities to contribute to fisheries decision making
- Building knowledge through exposure to fisheries management and leadership experts
Being part of the NextWave team is challenging, exciting, sometimes confronting, but ultimately extremely rewarding.
Previous participants in this program have gone onto achieve great things in fisheries management. Many now occupy roles in the recreational fishing sector and many future opportunities exist for the right people who are committed to making a difference.
Personal and professional leadership skill development assisted us in learning how to interpret and utilise the knowledge and skills we learnt to make changes and enhance fishing in WA.
“This course not only taught me valuable information about the fish and hobby I love, but created a great new network of friends and opened a door to a career in recreational fishing,” Nick Drummond, who now works at Triple 8 Abalone Hatchery in Bremer Bay, said.
Recfishwest CEO Dr Andrew Rowland added:
“This program unearths young talent to help further our commitment to protect and develop sustainable, enjoyable and safe fishing for all West Australians.”
If you are as passionate about fishing as we are, call Matt at Recfishwest on 9246 3366 to discuss the available positions and application process.
Submissions close 25 May.