Avid followers of our communications would have seen the article published in the November edition of Recfishwest Broadcast outlining the Environment Minister’s plans to close the Canal Rocks boat ramp, located near Yallingup in the states South West.
Although no decision has been made, Recfishwest can report that the following actions have taken place since our last update:
- Recfishwest wrote to the Minister in October. We received a response to this letter on December 13.
- The Minister has met with representatives from the City of Busselton and has agreed to await a review of the original engineering report that is being conducted by the City.
- Recfishwest has lodged a request to obtain the advice the Minister received from Risk Cover which was cited as the reason for closing the ramp.
- In early December we sent the Minister another letter accompanied with a petition filled out by over 4,000 people.
- Local member of parliament Libby Mettam presented a grievance in the upper house of parliament.
- Recfishwest has presented the Minister for Environment and the City of Busselton with an alternative Australian Standard which we believe is more appropriate for open ocean boat ramps.
- There have been two editorials in the West Australian about this ramp and several letters to the editor proving this is an important issue and with the West Coast Demersal closure finishing on Saturday, December 16 the Minister likely to see what an important asset this ramp is for the community.
Recfishwest will continue to advocate that the boat ramp remains open and will keep our readers informed of any new developments, watch this space.