Salmon Slam 2021 a success as fishers celebrate the iconic southern sportfish
“I can’t believe that I’m a boat owner now, I really can’t – just by catching a salmon – it is great news.”
That was Beau Gee’s response after winning the 2021 Salmon Slam’s $9,000 dinghy, trailer and outboard package top-prize for simply catching a salmon and entering it into the app-based competition.
The three-month Slam came to an end at midnight on 31 May, with 1,659 fishers taking part and chasing salmon along South West and south coast beaches during the autumn salmon migration.
Father-of-three Beau was the random draw-winner to scoop the 3.5m Seejay aluminium dinghy, powered by a six horse-power, four-stroke Honda outboard and trailer, supplied by Rusty’s Marine in Albany.
Want to see what fishers won each of the 2021 Slam’s seven phases? Catch up with the competition action below:
- Phase One: Nathan Woods more than happy with opening victory
- Phase Two: Woodsy and Stoney go salmon-for-salmon
- Phase Three: It’s a double wham as Stoney snares back-to-back wins
- Phase Four: Dion’s delighted after making the most of a down south adventure
- Phase Five: Josh Woods chimes in on the Salmon Slam success
- Phase Six: Just 5mm between victory and second-place
- Phase Seven and overall: Gee-whiz, Beau has bagged himself a beaut boat