Carnarvon community’s hard-work opens much-needed fascine access

Carnarvon boat fishers should be cautiously optimistic today after the McGowan Government pledged $7 million to help solve ongoing boat access issues at the fascine as part of its WA Recovery Plan.

Carnarvon boat fishers during the “Free the Fascine” in February.

Access to the ocean from the fascine was blocked following a cyclone in 2017 and since then the Carnarvon community have been fighting to restores access even going so far as to buy their own dredge.

Today the State Government appears to have heard the calls of the community and committed $7 million to deliver a permanent solution that will provide permanent access to the ocean from the fascine.

The announcement marks a significant step forward for the aspirations of the Carnarvon community, who in February this year held a rally to highlight the need for the Government to “Free the Fascine”.

Recfishwest Operations Manager Leyland Campbell, alongside Nationals MP Vince Catania and Aussie cricketing legend Kim Hughes, joined fishers in Carnarvon at the rally to ratchet up the calls.

Leyland said improving accessibility at the fascine would allow Carnarvon fishers to easily, and safely, get among the terrific fishing – which includes mulloway and cobia – off the Gascoyne town once more.

“Recfishwest are proud to have supported the Carnarvon community and their fight to address the fascine issue,” he said.

“Solving the fascine problem will not only benefit Carnarvon’s recfishers, but also the many boat fishers from across the State that travel to the popular fishing town each year.”

The $7 million will go towards delivering a permanent access solution from options put forward by the Fascine Entryway Project Steering Committee.

Immediate measures will be implemented to improve boat fishers’ access including regularly moving channel markers to ensure boats can safely use the deepest water.

Specialised equipment will be installed next month to collect further data that can be used with recent hydrographic survey results.

Also, environmental approvals have been sought to finalise a plan for the fascine that provides year-round boat access to the waterway.

“Recfishers spend $2.4 billion on fishing annually,” Leyland said. “Keeping that in mind, this announcement ensures boat fishers have access to one of the best fishing destinations off WA’s coast.”

Cobia are a common catch off Carnarvon.

Continue Reading

April 01, 2025

Recfishwest welcomes new Fisheries Minister

Recfishwest welcomes the recently appointed new Minister for Fisheries, the Hon. Jackie Jarvis MLC.   Minister Jarvis was appointed the new Fisheries Minister following a cabinet reshuffle after the recent State…

Read More

April 01, 2025

Billfish tags and fish samples galore at GAMEX 2025

For 57 years, GAMEX has cemented itself as one of Australia’s biggest and best fishing tournaments. Recfishwest Operations Officer Levi De Boni, an avid game fisher himself, was on the frontlines with our Fishing…

Read More

March 27, 2025

King Reef’s “underwater laboratory” boosts scientific understanding of artificial reef benefits

Exmouth’s King Reef is proving a win for both recreational fishing and marine science, with a growing body of research highlighting the ecological value of artificial reefs built with repurposed steel structures…

Read More

March 26, 2025

Recfishwest in national media – AUKUS defence must not come at the expense of Cockburn Sound

Recfishwest has joined growing calls for a full public environmental review of the AUKUS submarine development’s impacts on Cockburn Sound.  In an Australian Financial Review article earlier this month, Recfishwest…

Read More

March 24, 2025

Fishing leaders welcome long overdue national workshops on tackling shark bite-off

WA fishing experts and Recfishwest have welcomed the opportunity to have their say on beginning to combat the wicked problem of shark bite-off at a series of workshops throughout WA and several other states.   The…

Read More

March 24, 2025

South coast fishing flexes might at Esperance offshore classic despite rough conditions

A rollicking 21kg Samson fish was enough to claim top prize – and a staggering $24,000 worth of prizes – at last weekend’s Esperance Archipelago Offshore Angling Classic.  Despite the gnarly south coast…

Read More